Sunday, March 26, 2017

First Round Exit


    Growing up in Kansas, basketball is a big deal. KU runs the state when it comes to basketball. The Jayhawks have 5 titles and run the Big 12 from November to March. Being an alumnus of Kansas State, my wife and I will take any basketball-related victory that comes our way. We've made strides since I was in college. Back then, we were just downright bad at hoops. Losing by 10 was cause for celebration.
     This season, I took a day off to attend the KU vs K-State game in Manhattan. My brother and brother in-law went with me and we had a great time. As usual, we lost to KU again. This season began with my team starting off 12-1. The second half of the season resulted in an epic collapse. At our low point, we were needing to win our last 3 conference games to make consideration for the NCAA Tournament. We used that fuel to lose to the the worst team in the conference, Oklahoma, by 30 points. 
   Fans have been clamoring all season for Bruce Weber, our head coach, to be fired. In 5 years, he's made it to the tournament twice, but nothing for the past few seasons. Luckily, we had some big wins in the Big 12 tournament, enough to get us a spot for the play-in game for March Madness. We won but ended up losing in the first round to Cincinnati. You can imagine what happened next. "Fire Bruce," is now back on regular rotation around sports talk stations in Kansas. I can't imagine what that would be like. As fans, it's fun to fantasize about having a big time job that makes you a millionaire, but I can't imagine what it would be like for a whole entire state to hope you lose your job.  I think he'll keep his job at least one more year. My advice: beating KU would be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment