Monday, March 7, 2016

35

  If you ask me, Valentine's Day is pretty silly. Simply picking one random day to do something nice for someone you love, or spend money on someone to show you love them seems pretty contrived. Instead of doing the traditional Valentine's Day flowers or chocolate, my wife and I decided that we'd invest in building a backyard stone fire pit. Now that I'm 35, married, and have a couple kids, who needs fancy dinners or spa treatments?

   So what do I decide to do? The usual, of course. Not buy a metal fire pit from Lowes or Home Depot, no way, that's boring. Do I just go buy some concrete blocks? That's way too easy. Next thing I know, I'm hoisting a few thousand pounds of rocks I found on Craigslist into the back of my truck. After that, I'm off to buy 650 pounds of concrete to pour a foundation to put said rocks upon. You can almost hear my Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor growl coming out of your computer speakers, can't you?

  Fast forward three weeks. Here I sit, barely able to move. My back is killing me after emptying, pouring, and mixing 650 pounds of concrete the day before. Those Craigslist rocks have moved 25 yards from the bed of my truck next to a hole in the ground that will surely someday be an amazing fire pit. Now that I'm 35, married, and have a couple kids, I could sure use a fancy dinner or a spa treatment right now. 

5 comments:

  1. i liked how you mixed it up a bit also DONT work so hard ok please just take a day off and rest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeeed!! Those projects are always a pain in the back! Good job, hopefully we have lots of nice weather this spring to enjoy it for many future date nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually can hear your "Tim the Tool Man" ape grunt. Very manly. So you're hostin the next bar-b-que, right? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It will be ready to go next year for the BBQ.

      Delete