Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Futbol

     This year I've been tasked with coaching soccer for my two kids. James is playing in the U8 league, and Alex is playing with the pre-K kiddos. The great thing about it I hadn't planned on coaching at all! When we signed them up, I was so busy with work that I thought it might be best to let someone else do it. A week later, the league, apparently desperate enough to take anyone who could fog a mirror by breathing on it, came calling. I agreed because I knew that they were short on coaches, and since I actually have soccer coaching experience, I might as well help them out.

     Last week, I headed to the first coaching meeting of the season. When I got there, I anxiously began examining the rosters laid out on the table to find out if I was coaching my oldest, or my youngest. The nice lady behind the desk handed me the roster for Alex's team. "Good" I thought, "Pre-K soccer is easy enough."
   "Oh, and here's the other one" she said, promptly handing me James' roster with my name attached squarely at the top.

"Huh?"

"Yes, It looks like you'll be coaching both teams this year. I hope that's okay."

   She caught me right on the spot. "Oh sure, no problem. I can handle it." Wait a minute. Where where these words coming from? They sounded like my voice, but I didn't understand why they were coming out of my mouth. So...here goes nothing. I haven't coached soccer in 5 years. I previously coached high school girls JV soccer, and I figure if I can get a bunch of 15 year old girls to follow my directions, I can get four and seven year-olds to do the same. If you're bored and have nothing better to do, I know a guy who could use a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment