Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Few of My Favorite Places: Oregon


   Oregon has it all...beaches, mountains, deserts and everything in between. It's defintely one of my favorite places to visit because the weather is so nice and the people are extremely friendly. It's very scenic and if you like city life, then Portland is a great place to visit. It's an extremely commuter friendly city and has great public transportation.

   A few tips about traveling to Oregon: 1) Don't even think about trying to pump your own gas. It's illegal. Oregon is one of a few states that require gas station attendants to pump your gas. The first time someone did it for me I thought he was just being polite and I gave him a tip. The second time, I got lectured for trying to pump my own gas. Once you accept it, it's actually really nice not to have to leave your car. 2) Nearly everyone is doing something recreational, so if the outdoors isn't your thing, you might want to head somewhere else. Nevermind. Go to Oregon, it'll change your perspective on the outdoors. 3) If you have a thick midwestern accent, expect to get some looks. Don't worry though. Oregonians are great people and tourism is a huge part of their economy, so they're somewhat used to it..



Mt. Hood is a dormant volcano, and the largest mountain in Oregon. It dominates the landscape and can easily be seen 50 miles away. This picture was taken at our campground.
Crater Lake National Park was formed thousands of years ago when a volcano called Mt. Mazama collapsed in on itself, forming this massive crater. At 1,946 feet deep, it's the deepest lake in the U.S.




This is Ecola State Park. If you've ever seen the movie "The Goonies," you probably recognize this spot. It's right on the coast and very rainy and windy.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Oregon. My grandparents lived there when I was a kid and we got to visit them a couple of times. I took my husband two years ago before my grandparents moved to Kentucky. Wish I would've gone more, there is SO much to do in Oregon. Great post!

    ReplyDelete