Thursday, March 31, 2016

Game 1 in the books


   This Tuesday, we had our first soccer match. Alex scored a goal in his game, and thought he just won a world championship. That boy loves soccer, and would probably sleep in his cleats and shin guards if we let him. Like I said before, pre-k soccer is all about cheering for your kid no matter if they score a goal, or pick flowers in the middle of the field while the rest of the kids run around. There's no pressure, and very little rules to boot. I don't know if what we're doing really even constitutes "coaching." It's more just being positive and trying not to laugh out loud at all the funny stuff that goes on in the games.

    James' team had a good first game. I didn't keep score, but if I did, I guess we lost 1-5. During warm ups, the other team was doing group chants and organized running drills on the sidelines, like they were about to be called up to the national team if Clint Dempsey tore a ligament. These kids are 7 and 8, let me remind you.  Either way, I learned what we needed to work on and I'm sure we'll improve. The boys seemed to have fun, and any angry parents disillusioned with my coaching abilities patiently bit their tongues pending the outcome at Thursday's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment