Thursday, March 31, 2016

Jasper


   Jasper is the best dog you could ever ask for. I got him as a college graduation gift to myself 11 years ago. I had wanted a dog badly throughout college, but for one reason or another, it just wasn't the right time. I decided I wanted a lab, and found him from a breeder on a farm in southeast Kansas. I had driven down to check out the pups in the litter and chosen him. I came back at 8 weeks, and he was the only one left who hadn't been picked up. He ran straight to me, and we've been inseparable since.
   Jasper has lived with me through six moves, four different states, another dog and cat, and two kids. He is literally my shadow when I'm at home. I can't leave the room without him following me. My kids love him, and he always let them climb, pinch and drool on him when they were babies without ever letting out even a soft growl. He LOVES anything involving water, and we spend a lot of time swimming at the family lake house down in Oklahoma. He's ridden cross country twice in the back of my truck, and spent the whole time hanging his head out the side of the bed, waiting for me to stop at the next lake or river for a swim.

   Obviously, at 11 years old, he's slowing down. Arthritis and a reconstructed achilles tendon have taken away his ability to run, but he still lumbers along trying to keep up with us. A wise old man, his gray hairs and loud snores give him the character those cute puppies lack. I dread thinking of the day when he'll leave us, and hope we still have at least one more great year or two left. He is the world's best dog. If you don't believe me, I can put you in touch with over a dozen friends and relatives who've told me as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment