Monday, March 28, 2016

Sam's Throne


    This past year, I took my wife to visit one of my favorite camping and rock climbing spots. Sam's Throne is a rock climbing area in the Boston Mountains, about an hour south of Harrison, Arkansas. It's a beautiful place, full of sandstone boulders and cliffs. As a teenager and college student, I spent a lot of time there camping with friends and climbing the hundreds of climbing routes available. After moving away for 10 years, I hadn't gotten the chance to make it back. My wife had also never been to the throne, so it was nice to take her to a place that held lots of great memories for me.

    Sam's throne has a very primitive campground. That means that if you enjoy a hot shower and a flushing toilet, it's probably not your kind of place. There are pit toilets, but no running water. Even that is a major upgrade from my times there. When I first started visiting, you needed a four-wheel drive just to reach the campground area. There were no toilets, and you had to bring all the supplies you needed. It definitely was "roughing it." Still, it's a beautiful place to visit, and you can spend hours exploring the area, even if you don't rock climb. It's only a days drive from Webb City, so check it out. You'll thank me.





No comments:

Post a Comment